I love the idea of New Year’s resolutions. It’s the follow-through that I sometimes have trouble with.
Likewise, I love the idea of welcoming each new year with prayer, but my mind wanders so much it’s hard for me to stay focused.
Journaling definitely helps me, since when I have paper in front of me and a pen in my hand, I end up less distracted than if I’m just sitting trying to talk to God.
Journaling also reminds me that prayer is as much about listening as it is about talking. That’s another thing I often forget! Just like we should be praying for God’s blessings and protection in the New Year, we should be asking Him to show us His will as well!
8 Prayer Journal Prompts to Kick Off Your Year
If you’d like to take aside some time to pray in your 2018, here are some prayer journaling questions to get you started. The idea isn’t to write perfect, flowery prose. The idea is to just get your thoughts (and prayers) on paper. You could even come back to this post year after year and make something of a tradition out of it!
Praise, Gratitude, & Reflection
Let’s start with some reflection about the past year.
- When did you feel especially close to God in 2017?
- What was an unexpected blessing you experienced this past year? Thank God for it.
- “God, what sins have I committed in the past year that you want me to repent of?”
- List a few people you made deep connections with in 2017 and pray for God to bless them.
Dreams, Goals, & Intercession
Now take some time to ask God questions about the coming year.
- Who is somebody you’d like me to pray for more regularly this year?
- In what ways do you want me to get more involved in serving others?
- What is the one fruit of the Spirit or other Christian virtue you want to grow in me this year?
Then ask yourself this one last question, too!
- By this time next year, how do you hope to have grown in your spiritual walk?
Take time to think and pray about ways God can help you achieve the spiritual growth you’re looking for, and have a very happy and blessed New Year. For other prayer resources, including our newest Prevailing Prayer Podcast episode on praying in 2018, please check out www.alanaterry.com/prayer.
Do You Use a Prayer Journal?
Let us know in the comments below, or share your own New Year’s Resolutions with us. We would love to hear from you!
(Reminder: We use Amazon affiliate links)